Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Cheese - Formaggio




No visit to Bella Terra is complete without a full sampling of the cheeses of Italy. My only and best advice is to try it all. Every time you stop to eat finish with a piatto di formaggio. Each city, region, or town will serve it up a bit different. Be sure to ask for a wine recommendation to go along with your cheese.One of my favorite ways to eat cheese is in Tuscany. The Tuscans drizzle Balsamic Vinegar over their Parmigiano Reggiano. It is one of the best combinations I have ever tried. Keep in mind you have to buy the aged Balsamic. It is sweet and syrup like. Don't just drizzle any Balsamic over the cheese or you'll be disappointed. And remember less is more. My second favorite way to eat cheese comes from Siena. I enjoyed a hunk of Pecorino with a small side of Pear Preserve. The preserve had a hint of spice in it. Married with a nice Tuscan wine the combination is one of my favorite memories of last summer.




No comments: